Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Big Island Taiko Festival 2013

Although this is a semi-personal post, I thought I'd share this tidbit with you since it does have some relation to Sister Stamps....

My husband's Taiko group had a great performance in this year's Big Island Taiko Festival!  Yay!  They've come a long way from drumming on old tires!!!  Here's my favorite photo from their performance.



Since I made favors for my daughter's ballet performers, I had to do the same for my husband's taiko group.  Here's what I came up with at the last minute.  It's amazing what you can come up with if you procrastinate long enough... 

Since the M&M sticks were already made, I wanted to do something with the sticks.  I had already made a drum out of the candy stick bags before... see my old project here... so I couldn't do the same thing again right?  Especially since the same kids are still in the group.

So I had to use my brain cells to come up with something new and cool... Here's what I came up with.....



At the end of the performance, each group comes out with their group's banner like the one featured here.  All I did was print "Puna Taiko 2013" on the computer, cut it out and mounted them on black and red cardstock.  Although you might automatically think I should use Yoichi for this project, I opted for Katsura since he was already holding a long pole.  I cheated a bit and printed him up on my computer and just cut off the koi flag.  Since I thought everyone might want to save Katsura and eat the candy, I put everything on a BBQ skewer.

Here's a closer look at Katsura...



And here's a better look at the banner.. All I did was punch holes at the top and bottom of the banner.


Wow!  Looks like a parade of Katsura's!


Here you can see the banner I referenced.  The kids did a really good job this year!  It's amazing how much they've grown as players.  As my husband would say... "they must have a good sensei"!  I think he's semi-serious when he says stuff like that.  Bwahahahahahaha!


7 comments:

  1. HO DA CUTE!!!! The performances were excellent. Maybe next time I'll go both days. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so creative! I'm sure the group loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so creative! Love the way you incorporated the stamp and the stick together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a cool competition! the only time i get to see any kind of taiko drumming is if they have something at the japanese museum in j-town. how cool! another cool thing are your favors for the team. so awesome! your procratinating paid off!
    :D
    xx

    ReplyDelete